internet tax

Anything for the public

Moderator: Admin

internet tax

Postby Don_Smurf » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:25 am

The Minister, the Internet and the Sick Squid tax

The government appears to have confirmed that there will be a tax imposed on internet usage. This will be done in a roundabout way, by adding a 50p per month tariff onto fixed telephone lines.

This £6 annual tax would be used to fund the infrastructure work needed to reach a Digital Britain report target of 90% of households and businesses in the UK having access to next generation broadband services by 2017. Treasury minister Stephen Timms used a speech at a British Computer Society event to state the legislation could be pushed through before the next election.

At the time the original report was released there were concerned comments that households on low income would face an additional cost. This has not changed, and it could be said there will be even more opposition.

Even so, Labour appears to be set on pushing the measures through. The Conservatives claim to be against the idea and should make political capital from it. Given that large numbers of people have a telephone line but no internet connection, it is clearly inequitable to impose a flat tax in this way.

According to a 2008 survey, only 65% of homes in the UK have an internet connection. That leaves some 8.5 million homes without one. That equates to £4.25 million in tax everyone month where the person paying would get no benefit whatsoever. Effectively they would be forced to pay for something they don't want.

Can you save money on your broadband?

Of course many of those homes would eventually sign up, but not all. The aim is only to provide the capability to get high-speed internet, not the actual connection itself. If the goal was to actually give people access, not just the ability to have access, this may be a fairer tax.

Not only that, the money raised has to be spent correctly. Or else clearly there is little point in imposing the tax. To date there has been little in the way of concrete proposals for the infrastructure improvements.

Furthermore, many individuals use mobile phone and internet rather than traditional landlines. Without blaming them, these people would gain the advantage of better infrastructure but escape paying, whilst others paid but did not gain.

We are not against the tax per se. There needs to be some investment in the infrastructure to accommodate the increased internet traffic. If not, the UK is in danger of being left in something of a technological backwater.

However, this flat rate would be unfair and open to avoidance. Of course, the amount is very small, but the principle remains the same. We should not ask millions of people to pay for something in which they have no stake .
Don_Smurf
Camel

Re: internet tax

Postby untraceable » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:31 pm

they just wanna tax every thing, before long there will be a tax on breathing and a tax on your tax.
untraceable
Site Admin

Postby Rampant Smurf » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:57 pm

thats why i dont vote lab/con/lib greedy money grabbing bstads lol
Rampant Smurf

Postby ManiaSmurf » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:11 pm

this doesnt have anything to do with con/lib -.- its all labour i would have said as there in power?
ManiaSmurf
True Smurf

Postby Rampant Smurf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:20 am

its a genreralisation of the three main parties m8....
Rampant Smurf

Postby FriskySmurf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:57 pm

I hate to say it..... But....

Kind of agree with this levy - If it enables the whole country the OPTION to have access to high speed internet access in this digital age then 50p a month is not a lot to ensure our future internet useage is secure and up to date.

Admitedly there are a lot of homes in the uk that dont have internet (Although what proportion of these are down to lack of high speed internet availability and costly dial-up services is not clear)

As to the people using net/mobiles - If using the net they are invariably paying line rental in some form - Mobile users already pay through teeth to use the internet on there devices so they will still be behind the avg. land line user.

More and more modern life is becoming reliable on the internet, just think of it this way - If 50p extra a month allows you to sign up for online/paperless billing the discounts gained would far outweigh the 50p investment. (My work saves you 6% over DD with online paperless billing - So even if your yearly bill was only £200 you would have saved twice as much as you spent) And this is just one company.

My thinking is that this is not a tax, more of an investment into our countrys future as a whole (Just the usual internet scaremongerers (Who are most likely sat at home on their high speed net connections writing all this stuff)

(Imagine if any of us moved out into the sticks for whatever reason, how annoyed would you be at loss of high speed net?)

As long as the money gained is put into solely updating the infastructure needed and does not dissapear into Mr Browns budget results I am for this idea.

:geek:
"This is my haggis, this is my bum, this is for eating & this is for males aged 19 and over with a nice wiggle"

FriskySmurf
Camel

Postby Rampant Smurf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:41 pm

FriskySmurf wrote:
As long as the money gained is put into solely updating the infastructure needed and does not dissapear into Mr Browns budget results I am for this idea.

so would i be, however the money gained would be sent to sort out africa's roads for them. :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake: i want "safari" paul's journey to school to be as bumpy as hell ;)
Rampant Smurf

Postby ManiaSmurf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:19 pm

Rampant Smurf wrote:
FriskySmurf wrote:

so would i be, however the money gained would be sent to sort out africa's roads for them. :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake: i want "safari" paul's journey to school to be as bumpy as hell ;)

same here
ManiaSmurf
True Smurf

Postby FriskySmurf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:30 pm

ManiaSmurf wrote:
Rampant Smurf wrote:
FriskySmurf wrote:

same here

Thats why i clearly stated where the money should go - The more potholes the better
"This is my haggis, this is my bum, this is for eating & this is for males aged 19 and over with a nice wiggle"

FriskySmurf
Camel

Return to Public Smurf forum