hdd failure

For all your PC problems

Moderator: Admin

hdd failure

Postby untraceable » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:06 pm

ok so one of my hdd has failed - dont worry it was 3-4years old and backed up but it means i need to order a new drive so i went shopping and got slightly distracted and ended up buying a ssd drive and a replacement hdd. will be here tomorrow so i will be re-installing windows from scratch.
incase your interested heres the drives i bought
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225416 OCZ 120GB Vertex 2E SSD
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/183971 WD 2TB Hard Drive SATAII 64MB Cache
untraceable
Site Admin

Re: hdd failure

Postby Huff Smurf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Let me know how the SSD drive works out. have bee interested in them for a while, but don't know anyone who is using one yet.(Unless a smurf is).

Query on the solid state - If you use a 120Gb one, will you install games to the SSD drive or the storage drive?

Looks sexy thought the the "no touch" on the storage side is a great little idea, more stability is always good. (Looks at my 500Gb External Western Drive that has started making funny noises after 3-5 years.. think its' on its last legs)

have fun installing, from reviews, it should not take very long.
Huff Smurf
Tree Frog

Postby untraceable » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:41 pm

ok parts arrived :) heres what ive done so far
stripped pc down and cleaned it all - time 2 hours
install windows on ssd drive - 15 minutes
now im on the long process of re-installing all the programs i use.

@triscal
moby also has a ssd drive.
its fast, very fast. infact it scores 7.8 on windows 7 64bit (ill sort out a screenshot later)
ill be installing my games to the ssd although i have moved "my docs, picture, music and desktop" to a seperate drive but i do plan on getting a 2nd ssd (when budget allows) and putting in it raid 0 to give me a 240gb drive :)

be on tonight but not sure if ill have games installed then or not
untraceable
Site Admin

Postby Huff Smurf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Was reading on one review something about TRIM and RIAD not liking each other. What is TRIM?
Huff Smurf
Tree Frog

Postby untraceable » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:44 pm

not 100% sure on what trim is actually but the drive is a new generation that supports trim and raid.
untraceable
Site Admin

Postby Captainanorach » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:46 pm

nice

personally i'd have got this 1:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225805?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products
little bit more expensive and the write speed is slower but the read speed i.e. for loading the games and windows is crazy....sadly i don't have a spare £200 atm :D
Captainanorach
atomic particle

Postby untraceable » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:56 pm

that drive is a sata III (6gb/s) drive and i dont have that connection. it is compatable with sata II but with reduced read speeds which are slow than what i got :)
untraceable
Site Admin

Postby Moby Smurf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:44 pm

Triscal Smurf wrote:Was reading on one review something about TRIM and RIAD not liking each other. What is TRIM?

when you delete something stored on an old fashion hard drive, it's not actually deleted. It's deleted from windows' "table on content" (actually called LBA (I think hehe), but not the drive itself.
If you then write some new data to the same location a normal hard drive will just write over the old data and that's that, but with SSD it's abit different since they can't delete a single page (4KB) of data. A ssd can only delete in blocks(512KB of data). Now say you have a completely full block partly filled with data you've deleted from windows and the rest of the block filled with data you haven't deleted, if the ssd want to write over some the deleted pages inside this block it will have to first read the entire block onto it's memory then delete the block, modify the block(still in the memory) so it actually contains the data you originally had on the block and overwritten the data you previously deleted, and only then can it write back the entire block to the drive. The SSD will only do this when there is no free space anywhere else on the drive, that's when the drive will be forced to this read-delete-write procedure, even though the ssd is fast this will waste lot's of time. To get around the problem they introduced TRIM, it will make sure that when you delete something from windows, it will actually be removed from your SSD aswell. This will make sure the ssd will never have to go through the lengthy read-delete-write process normal hard drives aren't burdened with, the ssd does the clean up work right after you've deleted it. If the ssd didn't have this function, as the drives fills up you would get slower and slower write speeds to the drive as you start to overwrite data you've actually deleted in windows. To get TRIM to work you have to run windows 7 or some versions of linux(and have a trim enabled ssd obviously)
Moby Smurf
Tree Frog

Postby Rampant Smurf » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:58 pm

does the whackerjamathinghy help with the wotsitimacallit when the ssd meets the hd pc a to the y to the gee in da house bad boi????
Rampant Smurf

Postby Jokey Smurf » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:08 pm

lol Reef
Jokey Smurf
True Smurf

Next

Return to PC Problems