strange Harddisk

For all your PC problems

Moderator: Admin

strange Harddisk

Postby Jokey Smurf » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:34 pm

i got a weird problem with my 1 of my 2 HD.

the HD i'm having problems with, is split up to a C:\ with 100GB and a D:\150GB
when i go on the D:\ drive then my pc freeze after a ½min and i can't do anything not even Ctrl+Alt+Delete ???

There is nothing when i enter my C:\ drive or my E:\ drive which is a HD on it's own
Jokey Smurf
True Smurf

Re: strange Harddisk

Postby untraceable » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:33 am

could be a few things but sounds like a corrupt partition or your hard drive has an error on the d drive section.
I would first backup anything you need before doing any of this.
i'd start by doing a error check from windows - open my computer, right click the D drive, click properties then tools then error checking, tick both boxes and click start (it may ask to do it next time the computer starts, if so restart) lookout for for any errors.

if that comes back fine and the pc still freezes when accessing the d drive then download http://mods.smurfsofwar.com/files/mods/SeaToolsDOS217EURO.rar, extract the file and burn the .iso to cd then restart the computer and boot from the cd, it should load (will look like loads of lines of dos to start then it will ask you to accept the disclaimer (if it doesn't find your mouse use the keyboard, just press the key that has _ below it). once in it should find your both your hard drives and it should put a tick next to the first (should be your c/d drive) then go to "basic" and select "long test" this will take about 1 hour per 250GB. it will report any errors as it finds them (test will stop if it gets to 99)
if your hard drive is a maxtor or seagate and it finds any errors it may be able to repair them but if its any other make then it can't but at least you will know what is wrong.
here's a full tutorial for seatools with pics http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=201271
untraceable
Site Admin

Postby Jokey Smurf » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:40 pm

thx a lot Paul :respect i tryid with windows own HD checker, both the one that runs inside Windows and the one that does it from a blue windows bootup screen, both took ages to complete (aprox 90-120min) and without any errors.
Gonna try the SeaTool to check, think i it's a Samsung so can only do the test, but need to get out to my mom to burn it, as my burner is dead :doh
Jokey Smurf
True Smurf

Postby untraceable » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Jokey Smurf wrote:thx a lot Paul :respect i tryid with windows own HD checker, both the one that runs inside Windows and the one that does it from a blue windows bootup screen, both took ages to complete (aprox 90-120min) and without any errors.

yeah they can take a long time, try doing it on a 1TB hard drive (6-8 hours :( )

Jokey Smurf wrote:Gonna try the SeaTool to check, think i it's a Samsung so can only do the test, but need to get out to my mom to burn it, as my burner is dead :doh
dam there is another option ;) seatools for windows but i haven't found it quite as good as the dos version http://mods.smurfsofwar.com/files/mods/SeaToolsforWindowsSetup-1201.rar.
untraceable
Site Admin

Return to PC Problems